Thursday, June 10, 2010

The MCN frenzy!

So at the moment I am engaged in a fun battle on facebook to score MCN's!
MCN's are set to take the world by storm...but what are they?? The MCN or Modern Cloth Nappy are quickly becoming popular with a new generation of mums who are eco concious and $$$ savvy! Before I was even pregnant with our son I knew that I wanted to use cloth nappies and when I began to research them online, I found that cloth nappies have come a LONG way! Gone are the bulky terry towelling nappies that required soaking, folding, pinning and pilchers and here are amazing nappies that are shaped to fit and feature buttons or velcro closures. Many do not require covers, soaking is not necessary and the colours and patterns available are amazing!

Before Bodhi arrived we met with a nappy consultant from Baby Beehinds (http://www.babybeehinds.com.au/) who guided us through the decision making process and a few weeks later we were (well at least I was) excited to receive a package of fluffy, colourful nappies. I was stoked to put them in the drawers and even enjoyed prewashing them so they were ready for use.


Since Bodhi arrived we have purchased a few more nappies from an amazing WAHM who creates beautiful, practical nappies - http://www.bonnibuns.com.au/ There are colours and patterns for all occasions and she regularly has sales, specials and facebook events (such as the one I have been eyeing off this morning!) These nappies are OSFM (one size fits most) and are fantastic! I'm sure that as our Buddha baby gets bigger and bigger he will soon outgrow his sized nappies and we definitely be topping up our stash (lovely MCN user term!) with Bonnibuns nappies :)

In my search for MCN's and MCN information, I have found a whole community simply addicted to them (yes believe it or not, something that is used for containing bodily fluids can actually become addictive!) There are groups committed to chatting about nappies on online parenting forums and there are facebook groups designed for selling second hand nappies.

It is fantastic to see that people are realising that cloth nappying is not hard! Sure it might add an extra load of washing or two, but isnt it worth it to see your bub in cute, fluffy prints and to know that you're not contributing to tonnes and tonnes of nappies sitting in landfill around the country?!

No comments:

Post a Comment