Thursday, June 3, 2010

The search for a wooden pram toy...

Over the last few weeks we have noticed that Bodhi is spending more and more time awake when we are out (previously we would no sooner get in the car and he would be crashed!) He's quite happy looking around in his pram, but we have started to wonder if we should put something in the pram for him to play with...

First of all - is a pram toy a necessity?? Almost every pram I pass has toys and gadgets hanging from it left right and centre, so much so that it can be hard to see the baby in there! But I have to admit, I do feel a slight pang of mother guilt when I look at my poor child staring longingly at the black inner of his pram hood!

So I guess if we are going to get a pram toy it has to meet some criteria:
1. It has to be wooden (my hatred for plastic toys is just too strong!)
2. It has to be made ethically
3. It has to be made of recycled or sutainable materials

Well...I've really created a challenge for myself. It seems nothing like this exists in any store near us, so it's off to the world wide web for me!
Finally after hours and hours of trawling, I am ecstatic to find just what I am looking for!!


Schaaf Kugelkette pram toy here at State of Green

Although it is made in Germany (would prefer to support local business and reduce my carbon footprint!) it does meet my criteria!!

So, with an order placed I can feel just a little less guilty when I see my son eyeing off the toys in other prams!!

2 comments:

  1. Have you thought about going to local markets and seeing if there are any lovely homemade stalls that sell toys? Also if your little lad is a bit younger maybe you would consider a handmade wool toy to hang in his pram, lots of older ladies make wool stuffed animals and sell them or give them away and they are totally washable haha

    I stopped using a pram pretty quickly with my son and moved onto the babywearing/kangaroo parenting :) he is now 2 and a half and we still use a sling sometimes or a mei tai rather than a stroller and I find he became just so much more connected with me and the world around him, toys became unnecessary as he was more interested in watching the world around him from the safety of my chest or just gazing into my face (poking me in the eye, nose, ear were also very fun!).

    Terrific blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nat!!
    I am a lover of the Mei Tai...so comfortable and easy to use and Bodhi just loves snuggling in.
    I love your suggestion of woollen toys for the pram too...hmmmm just aquired a stack of wool, so might have to see what I can come up with!

    ReplyDelete